Mozilla vulnerabilities, an update

From: Thor Larholm (thorat_private)
Date: Wed Sep 18 2002 - 09:08:52 PDT

    On September 9th I wrote the following to securityat_private

    -- START --
    I noticed that you have published a list (
    http://mozilla.org/releases/mozilla1.0.1/security-fixes-1.0.1.html ) of
    security issues that have been fixed in Mozilla 1.0.1

    I would recommend posting this list to the Bugtraq mailinglist,
    bugtraqat_private, so that the secinfo industry and the public in
    general becomes aware of these. This would help raise the awareness of your
    security efforts, as well as urge users of older versions to upgrade and
    provide hints to other software products that embed Gecko, or other parts of
    Mozilla, that they should consider getting fresh sources for their projects.

    In case you feel that this is not a necessary action, I would like to
    personally make the list aware of these security fixes in a matter of 5
    working days.
    --   END   --

    At first I received a reply from Asa Dotzler, which among others mentioned
    that the list was far from comprehensive and

    "It would be much better if someone (mitch) updated the real page at
    http://www.mozilla.org/projects/security/known-vulnerabilities.html"

    So I forwarded and wrote to Mitch:

    "May I recommend updating the official list of known vulnerabilities in
    Mozilla to include the vulnerabilities that have been fixed, such as XMLHTTP
    and the many on Asas list?"

    And received a short reply last thursday:

    "Yes, that page will be updated soon. Thanks for letting me know."

    Since nothing has happened, I thought I would pass this on to the list. This
    is a short list of issues fixed between the 1.0 and 1.0.1 version of
    Mozilla. As Asa mentioned, this list was just put together from some queries
    on Bugzilla. Undoubtedly, there will be many more vulnerabilities that have
    been fixed, and it would be a welcome change to let the public know about
    these.

    BUG ID Product Component Summary
    88183 Browser  Plug-ins  navigator.plugins leaks path names
    104472 Browser  Security  execution of scripts in the file: protocol from
    XUL using cgi
    125583 Browser  Security  Disable automatic XLinks in Mail
    135267 Browser  Security  Reading files cross-host using styles
    144228 MailNews  Security  Malicious email breaks POP server connection
    146094 Browser  Networking  Stealing third-party cookies through a proxy
    147754 Browser  Security  XMLSerializer needs same-origin check
    148256 Browser  XML  flawfinder warnings in XML Extras
    148269 NSS  Libraries  flawfinder warnings in mozilla/security
    148520 Browser  Password Manager window.prompt is returning a saved password
    instead of prompting.
    149777 Browser  Security  Node cloned from external, untrusted document and
    appended to chrome document.
    149943 Browser  Security  Princeton-like exploit may be possible
    150339 Browser  Internationalization huge font crashes X Windows
    151933 Browser  XML  xml:base should not allow setting chrome URLs
    152697 Browser  Networking  no limit on the size of a HTTP header
    152725 Browser  Cookies  Possible cookie stealing using javascript: URLs
    154030 Browser  Security  HTML directory indexer doesn't html-escape url
    154240 PSM  Client Libraries  No warning when redirecting https-http-https
    at http protocol level
    154930 Browser  Security  document.domain abused to access hosts behind
    firewall
    155222 Browser  Security  Heap corruption in PNG library
    157202 Browser  Security  Exploitable (?) heap overrun in PNG
    157652 Browser  JavaScript Engine  Crash, possible heap corruption in JS
    Array.prototype.sort
    157845 Browser  DOM Events  Crash involving document.open()
    157989 Browser  ImageLib  Possible heap corruption with 0-width GIF
    161721 Browser  Installer  install in onkeypress for space key bypasses
    warning dialog

    To put it shortly, I do appreciate the efforts put forth by the Mozilla.org
    team, I just wish they could be more communicative instead of hiding the
    fact that Mozilla, like most any other software product, has had and will
    have a long number of security vulnerabilities. Undoubtedly, this gives a
    different view on the security of Mozilla than one would get by reading the
    official list of vulnerabilities (listing just 1 vulnerability). Again, the
    above was just an incomplete list of security issues that were fixed between
    the minor version change 1.0 to 1.0.1, I have no idea about the amount of
    issues that remain or that has been fixed so far.

    Regards
    Thor Larholm, Security Researcher
    PivX Solutions, LLC

    Are You Secure?