The Trivial Cisco IP Phones Compromise

From: Ofir Arkin (ofir@sys-security.com)
Date: Thu Sep 19 2002 - 04:22:32 PDT

    Dear all,

    The referred paper lists several severe vulnerabilities with Cisco
    systems' SIP-based IP Phone 7960 and its supporting environment. These
    vulnerabilities lead to: complete control of a user's credentials; total
    subversion of a user's settings for the IP Telephony network, and the
    ability to subvert the entire IP Telephony environment. Malicious access
    to a user's credentials could enable "Call Hijacking", "Registration
    Hijacking", "Call Tracking", and other voice related attacks. The
    vulnerabilities exist with any deployment scenario, but this paper deals
    specifically with large scale deployments as recommended by Cisco.

    A PDF version of the paper is available from:
    http://www.sys-security.com/archive/papers/The_Trivial_Cisco_IP_Phones_C
    ompromise.pdf

    A PDF Zipped version of the paper is available from:
    http://www.sys-security.com/archive/papers/The_Trivial_Cisco_IP_Phones_C
    ompromise.zip

    I would like to thank Josh Anderson for the help lent me during the
    development of the paper.

    Yours,
    Ofir Arkin [ofir@sys-security.com]
    Founder
    The Sys-Security Group
    http://www.sys-security.com
    PGP CC2C BE53 12C6 C9F2 87B1 B8C6 0DFA CF2D D360 43FA