Squirrel Mail 1.2.7 XSS Exploit

From: DarC KonQuesT (DarC_KonQuesTat_private)
Date: Thu Sep 19 2002 - 14:14:28 PDT

    ****Sorry if you receive two of these.****

    DarC KonQuesT XSS Release-

    Product: Squirrel Mail 1.2.7 - released June 21, 2002 (tested, others
    possibly vulnerable)
    Vendor: Squirrel Mail - Web: www.squirrelmail.org
    Problem: Cross Site Scripting
    Severity: Moderate
    Operating System(s): Tested against Red Hat 7.3, all others vulnerable if
    they are using this version of Squirrel.

    Discovered: August 4, 2002
    Vendor Notified: um...now?
    Public Release: Now - September 10

    Background:
    Squirrel Mail is a webmail daemon that provides a HTTP mail interface using
    PHP.

    Release Notes:
        I **DID NOT** notify the developers (until now) because I am a lazy SoB
    and my motivation is lacking (free lance, unpaid, bored guy). I kept putting
    it off (notice discovery date and the release now) and now they've released
    several newer versions (most recently 1.3.1), which I have not tested.
    Because of the release(S) of the new versions and due to my gross
    slothfulness, I've decided to do a direct public release. Also, for those of
    you who know PHP, you should be able to fix this problem without much
    trouble. Apologies to those who feel like they're getting screwed over by
    this.

    Problem:
        User input is not sanitized so execution of arbitrary code on a client
    computer is possible through a Cross Site Scripting (XSS) hole while the
    code executes under the domain of the site which the webmail is hosted at.
    Similar holes exist in the following utilized scripts:
        addressbook.php
        options.php
        search.php
        help.php

    _MAIN_ Exploit:
        The XSS hole I developed the most is in addressbook.php. I was able to
    inject and execute javascript code and after opening the addressbook page
    there was no indication that I had changed anything (after entering the HTML
    comment tags to get rid of some hanging code that my javascript had made
    text).

    The URL I crafted for the exploit is as follows:

    http://
    SITE>.net/webmail/src/addressbook.php?"><script>alert(document.cookie)</scri
    pt><!--

    If you execute the code without the HTML comment tag on the end it leaves a
    nasty hanging bit of HTML code which is a clear indication that something
    has gone awry to many users (however some may ignore it as they don't
    understand it).

    _OTHER_ Holes:

    1) This will reveal the path to PHP directory and other...maybe interesting
    to someone, I didn't really care but decided to include it. The problem is
    in options.php.

    http://
    SITE>.net/webmail/src/options.php?optpage=<script>alert('boop!')</script>

    it returns the following on the page for the server I tested:
    Fatal error: Failed opening required ''
    (include_path='.:/php/includes:/usr/share/php') in
    /var/www/squirrelmail/src/options.php on line 172

    2) This is a XSS hole in search.php:

    http://
    SITE>.net/webmail/src/search.php?mailbox=<script>alert('boop!')</script>&wha
    t=x&where=BODY&submit=Search

    3) Another in search.php

    http://
    SITE>.net/webmail/src/search.php?mailbox=INBOX&what=x&where=<script>alert('b
    oop!')</script>&submit=Search

    4) XSS in help.php:

    http://
    SITE>.net/webmail/src/help.php?chapter=<script>alert('boop!')</script>

    5) XSS in addressbook (different):
        Manually entered nicks, email addresses, first names, last names, and
    info sections in the addressbook are not filtered so script can be placed
    and executed through them the next time the page is viewed.

    Vendor Action:
        I didn't notify....yeah yeah I know....

    Aftermath:
        It seems to me this has all the normal dangers of a XSS hole so listing
    them seems pointless (I'm sure we've all seen them). If someone expands this
    idea to include other/larger possibilites I'd be interested in hearing about
    it.
    FINAL UPDATE - 9/10/02 I found what I believe is the main developer or head
    guy's email address so I'm direct mailing him too. Maybe he can tell us if
    the newer versions are fixed.

    (---There was a section here about a quote from their page --Revision=
    Konstantin ("Icon") Riabitsev informed me that MagicHTML has nothing to do
    with this but with the protection of email viewed in HTML form...seriously
    helliphino I didn't bother to look it up.  Thanks for the correction.--)

    Later on, and have fun,

    - DarC KonQuesT -(DiR)-
        Ringleader - DarC Horizons
        United States of America

    Greets:
    DarCLinG, V3ga, st3v3, Jenn, Christina, John (heh, you're next)

    "Congress shall make no law abridging the freedom of sXXXch, or the right of
    the people peaceably to XXXemble, and to peXXXion the government for a
    redress of grievances." -- Marc Rotenberg

    ---