Re: IIL Advisory: Reverse traversal vulnerability in Monkey (0.1.4) HTTP server

From: Daniel R. Ome (keziahat_private)
Date: Thu Sep 26 2002 - 11:42:41 PDT

    En Wed, Sep 25, 2002 at 09:10:45AM -0000,
    DownBload escribió sobre IIL Advisory: Reverse traversal vulnerability in Monkey (0.1.4) HTTP server:

    >                 [ Illegal Instruction Labs Advisory ]
    > [-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
    > Advisory name: Reverse traversal vulnerability in Monkey (0.1.4) HTTP
    > server
    > Advisory number: 12
    > Application: Monkey (0.1.4) HTTP server
    > Application author: Eduardo Silva (EdsipeR)
    > Author e-mail: edsiper@linux-chile.org
    > Monkey Project: http://monkeyd.sourceforge.net
    > Date: 06.09.2002
    > Impact: Attacker can read files out of SERVER_ROOT directory

    > ======[ Problem
    > Monkey doesn't check HTTP request for ../ string, and because of that,
    > attacker can view any file out of SERVER_ROOT directory which Monkey can
    > read (if Monkey is running under root account, attacker can read any file
    > on that machine).
    > There is still one thing which will make attack a little more "complicate":

    > Translated to (poor:) english:
    > If our request is / or second char of our request is . , than path will be
    > set to SERVER_ROOT, and in that case, we can't go out of SERVER_ROOT
    > directory.
    >
    > Previous "if" will prevent simple reverse traversal attack like this one:
    > ---cut here---
    > GET /../../../../../../../../../etc/passwd HTTP/1.0
    > ---cut here---
    >
    > But can't prevent this reverse traversal attack:
    > ---cut here---
    > GET //../../../../../../../../../etc/passwd HTTP/1.0
    > ---cut here---

     Hi:

        This bug was reported in December 2001 and corrected  in  following
     versions. Anyway recently was released Monkey 0.5.0.

        Nos vemos
                                                 Daniel

    --

       Daniel R. Ome    |  Adán comió la manzana, y todavía
        Jujuy - R.A.    |  nos duelen las muelas.