MyNewsGroups :) XSS patch

From: Ulf Harnhammar (ulfhat_private)
Date: Sun Sep 29 2002 - 16:05:39 PDT

    MyNewsGroups :) XSS patch

    PROGRAM: MyNewsGroups :)
    VENDOR: Carlos Sanchez Valle et al.
    HOMEPAGE: http://mynewsgroups.sourceforge.net/
    VULNERABLE VERSIONS: 0.4, 0.4.1, possibly others
    IMMUNE VERSIONS: 0.4.1 with my patch applied
    SEVERITY: high
    LOGIN REQUIRED: no

    "MyNewsGroups :) is a USENET news client with a completely Web-based
    interface. It is written in PHP4, and it uses a MySQL database
    backend, which allows useful tools such as search engines, SPAM
    filters, subscriptions, and stats to be implemented. The interface
    of MyNewsGroups :) is very easy to use."

    (direct quote from the program's project page at Freshmeat)

    The program is published under the terms of the GNU General Public
    License.

    SUMMARY:

    MyNewsGroups :) has got several cross-site scripting holes that are
    triggered when displaying the Subject headers of newsgroup messages.
    By posting a malicious newsgroup message, an attacker can take over
    many MyNewsGroups :) users' accounts. The same attacker can also
    trick the program into posting fake messages under the users' names.

    COMMUNICATION WITH VENDOR:

    The vendor was contacted on the 9th of July. They still haven't
    fixed this issue.

    MY PATCH:

    I wrote a patch for this XSS issue, and I have included it as an
    attachment to this mail. I have patched against version 0.4.1.

    // Ulf Harnhammar
       VSU Security
       ulfhat_private