Re: CommonName Toolbar potentially exposes LAN web addresses

From: Andrew Clover (andat_private)
Date: Fri Oct 04 2002 - 08:35:04 PDT

    Eric Stevens <mightyeat_private> wrote:

    > Due to a bug in the URL validation done in CommonName Toolbar (in at least
    > dll version 3.5.2.0 on IE 6), addresses from local intranets may be exposed
    > to the CommonName organization.

    During my tests this also occurred on all TLDs not belonging to
    a built-in list in the DLL. This includes for example .edu and .mil
    along with the more obscure .gb and .su, and any domains from
    alternative root DNS providers.

    A more serious issue was that any URLs used in these TLDs got
    corrupted on the journey to and back from CommonName's servers,
    making it impossible for users of the CommonName software to
    access pages whose URLs are more than 72 characters long in any
    of these domains. However, I don't believe this is due to an
    overflow at the client end; I know of no similar security
    issue with this software.

    CommonName Ltd. assure me these problems have been fixed in
    version 3.6.0.0 of the software, available from commonname.com
    now. Indeed I don't see any of these problems any more.
    However, I am somewhat concerned to see the new version
    includes a Winsock2 Layered Service Provider (a type of
    component which various spyware applications have used before,
    often causing disastrous network problems), and registers an ActiveX
    control under the classid 000000000000-0000-0000-0000-00000000,
    which doesn't seem like a good idea either.

    > even the sneakiest spyware will be unable to install itself on your
    > system, unless it chooses random locations and file names.

    Unfortunately quite a few of these parasites install themselves
    in %WinDir%\System32 or %WinDir%\Downloaded Program Files, which
    are not so easy to protect!

    --
    Andrew Clover
    mailto:andat_private