CSS on Microsoft Content Management Server

From: overclocking_a_la_abuelaat_private
Date: Mon Oct 07 2002 - 16:45:41 PDT

    Hi,

    while doing a pen-test I found what seems a Cross Site Scriptting on
    Microsoft  Content Management Server.
    On M$ words:

    "Microsoft® Content Management Server 2001 (MSCMS) is an enterprise Web
    content management system that enables companies to build, deploy, and
    maintain Internet, intranet, and extranet Web environments. One essential
    component of the Web development process is the planning and
    implementation of a security policy for the site.(...)"

    Within Microsoft Content Management Server, the AESecurity Service
    authenticates users. In this forms-based authentication system, users
    trying to access a secure Web page are redirected to a login form (an
    Active Server Pages [ASP] script called ManualLogin.asp) where they must
    enter a user name and password. After the user enters credentials, the ASP
    script does an HTML post of the login credentials to an ASP script called
    ManualLoginSubmit.asp, which communicates the data to the server.

    If user authentication succeeds, MSCMS saves a session cookie with an
    encrypted token in the Web browser. The token is comprised of the user
    identity, the time of login, and the login IP address; it is encrypted in
    the cookie with the Server Security Key. Each time the user requests a new
    page, MSCMS validates the token and grants or denies access accordingly.
    When the user logs off, the token is removed from the Web browser, and
    when the browser is closed, the session cookie is destroyed

    OK. The ManualLogin.asp has a parameter "REASONTXT" that shows the usual
    warning text:"You are using an insecure connection...".
    But we can inject code here like this: ManualLogin.asp?
    REASONTXT=<YOUR_SCRIPT>.

    An example coud be:

    http://vulnerable_site/NR/System/Access/ManualLogin.asp?
    REASONTXT=&lt;script&gt;alert(document.cookie);window.open
    ("http://www.infohacking.com");&lt;/SCRIPT&gt;

    This demo-script has been intentionally contructed in this way (we don`t
    want people sending their cookies to our site...)

    So, if we can force a user to open an URL like this (HTML mail for
    example), we could trick him to send his cookie.If the user has just log
    on to the vulnerable server, we will probably be able to steal his cookie
    and hijack his session...

    Sorry for my bad english.

    Hugo Vazquez Carames & Toni Cortes Martinez
    www.infohacking.com

    Thanks to our company (www.winmat.com) to let us lose time on
    investigating this "feature".