Flood ACK packets cause AIX DoS

From: Mauro Flores (mafloresat_private)
Date: Wed Oct 09 2002 - 06:43:45 PDT

    Title: Flood ACK packets cause AIX DoS.

    Released: 9th Oct 2002

    Vulnerable:
    ===========
    - AIX version 4.3.3 with any ML
    - AIX 5

    Overview:
    =========
    	AIX is a unix operating sistem developed by IBM distributed with
    a wide models of IBM hardware.

    There exists an stack problem with malformed TCP packets that can lead AIX
    to a DoS condition. To reach this condition a big band width is require.

    Details:
    ========
    AIX has a pool of memory buffers known as mbuf, this buffers are used to manage
    the incoming and outbound network traffic.  A flood of TCP packets with all flags
    off makes the AIX to fail in releasing the mbufs, an result in a 100% of CPU
    consume or even crash the system.
    To reach the DoS condition the flood must be over 2.8 Mbps, so this is more a
    DDoS attack.

    Vendor Response:
    ================
    IBM was reported on March 18, 2002. The vendedor confirm the problem and release
    a fix.

    Corrective Action:
    ==================
    Apply APAR IV31641

    Vulnerability Reporting Policy:
    http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-christey-wysopal-vuln-disclosure-00.txt

    Author: Mauro Flores (mafloresat_private)
            Guillermo Freire (gfreireat_private)
    ANTel is not responsible for the misuse of the information we provide
    through our security advisories. These advisories are a service to
    the professional security community. In no event shall ANTel be
    liable for any consequences whatsoever arising out of or in connection
    with the use or spread of this information.