TCP flood against NetGear FM114P

From: Marc Ruef (marc.ruefat_private)
Date: Thu Oct 10 2002 - 11:03:22 PDT

    Hi!

    I've got a lot of availability trouble with my NetGear FM114P. After
    asking the support and no good answer I started doing some test for
    myself. It seems possible to crash the NetGear FM114P with many TCP
    connects. I did some tests on my FM114P firmware Version 1.3 Release 05
    and these are the needed connection attempts:

    4349
    15641
    125802
    22185
    44395
    62564
    9865
    22102
    108132
    42314

    It is interessting that there is no exact value for the success. All of
    them are between the large scale of 4349 and 125802. It's possible to do
    this attack by brute forceing the htaccess password of the web interface
    (e.g. with WWWhack). But such an attack is recorded in the log files as
    following:

    --- fwlog begin ---

    [...]
    Sun, 2002-10-06 21:23:40 - Administrator login fail, Password error -
    IP:192.168.0.2
    Sun, 2002-10-06 21:23:41 - Administrator login fail, Password error -
    IP:192.168.0.2
    Sun, 2002-10-06 21:23:41 - Administrator login fail, Password error -
    IP:192.168.0.2
    [...]

    --- fwlog end ---

    After this, the whole firewall freezes:

    - You can't ping the box
    - You can't connect to the web interface
    - There is no troughput possible
    - The firewall doesn't mail the scheduled log files

    You need to reboot the tiny box to get a running system.

    I've tried the same game with ping flooding, but there was no success.

    I hope this bug will be fixed in an upcoming firmware release.

    Bye, Marc

    --
    Computer, Technik und Security
    http://www.computec.ch