NFS Denial of Service advisory from Sun

From: m g (mg_outlawat_private)
Date: Thu Oct 17 2002 - 05:21:50 PDT

    Hello all,

    Today, Sun released an advisory (47815) about how the lockd can be used to
    cause a DoS of NFS. However they did not provide any details about how the
    lockd can be killed to trigger this. See
    http://sunsolve.sun.com/pub-cgi/retrieve.pl?doc=fsalert%2F47815&zone_32=category%3Asecurity

    Does anyone know if this security issue is somehow related to the Bugtraq
    posting from Mike Murray  about lockd and nfs on Linux from  June 2000, see:
    http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/bugtraq/2000-06/0073.html

    I currently don't have a Sun box available to test it myself, so perhaps
    someone else can verify this or provide me information about this.

    Grtx Mike G. (not Mike Murray)

    Unlimited Internet access for only $21.95/month.  Try MSN!