Re: Linux Kernel Exploits / ABFrag

From: huang po (huangpoat_private)
Date: Thu Oct 17 2002 - 13:55:32 PDT

    From: Peter Pentchev (roamat_private)
    Subject: Re: *BSD remote kernel-level (TCP/IP stack)
    vulnerability! - ABFrag.c

    Newsgroups: fa.freebsd.bugs
    Date: 2002-09-23 07:04:01 PST

    On Sun, Sep 22, 2002 at 03:51:54PM +0300,
    cizbasaat_private wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > First of all this is hear-say, but being from a
    reliable source (imho),
    > here it is:
    >
    > There supposedly is an exploit named ABFrag.c in the
    wild that affects the
    > TCP/IP stack on *BSD systems, providing remote root
    shell to the attacker.

    There have been various rumours of exploits using
    fragmented packets for
    the TCP/IP stacks of various OS's in the past few
    years.  I personally
    find them very hard to believe: the TCP/IP stack is
    part of the kernel,
    and while it may be theoretically possible that the
    fragmented packets'
    handling is a bit off-base, it would be *very* hard to
    write an exploit
    that would perform a stack smash in the kernel, then
    pass control to a
    kernel routine that would start a userland process,
    bind it to a
    listening port, then make sure it starts up a shell.
    Mind you, I am not
    saying that this would be impossible, just very, very,
    *very* much
    improbable :)  Even if it were true, it would be very
    much more harder
    to write so that it would affect *different* OS's: the
    differences in
    the TCP stacks are not that large, but significant for
    at least this
    purpose.

    > The system of someone that I know has been rooted
    using it (he was pasted
    > some lines from his /etc/shadow as proof).

    Well, first of all, I assume you mean
    /etc/master.passwd, because there
    is no /etc/shadow in FreeBSD :)

    Second, are you absolutely sure that your
    acquaintance's system was not
    "rooted" using another exploit?  Apache+OpenSSL and
    telnetd come to mind
    immediately, there were a couple of others in the past
    few months.

    G'luck,
    Peter

    --
    Peter Pentchev	roamat_private	roamat_private
    Key fingerprint	FDBA FD79 C26F 3C51 C95E  DF9E ED18

    >Hi,
    >exist rumors about this exploit since 3 months. The
    archive aparently exp=
    >lores
    >an imperfection in the TCP Sync (i dont know details
    about problem). Due
    >to rumors, exist more two exploits for the problem
    (maybe fake).
    >Some forums like ByteRage's PRIVATE forum was
    dicussing it in private (it=

    >is bad to kids/defacers, but good to security
    professionals and admins).
    >Thanks to you and all list readers...
    >Nilson Gomes

    4:30 pm GMT my
    >>IDS began reporting strange TCP behaviour on my
    network segment. As I
    >>was unable to verify the cause of this behaviour I
    was forced to remove
    >>the Linux box that I use a border gateway and traffic
    monitor - at no sm=
    >all
    >>cost to my organization - the network is yet to be
    reconnected.
    >>After a reboot and preliminary analysis I found the
    binary ABfrag sittin=
    >>in /tmp. It had only been created minutes before.
    >>Setting up a small sandbox I ran the program and was
    presented with the
    >following
    >>output:
    >>

    >>------------------------------------------------------------------------=
    >----
    >>
    >>ABfrag - Linux Kernel ( <=3D 2.4.20pre20 ) Remote
    Syncing exploit

    >>Found and coded by Ac1db1tch3z - t3kn10n, n0n3 and
    t3kn0h03.

    >>WARNING:
    >>Unlicensed usage and/or distribution of this program
    carries heavy fines=

    >>and penalties under American, British, European and
    International copyri=
    >ght
    >>law.
    >>Should you find this program on any compromised
    system we urge you to de=
    >lete
    >>this binary rather than attempt distribution or
    analysis. Such actions
    >would
    >>be both unlawful and unwise.
    >>
    >>------------------------------------------------------------------------=
    >----
    >>password:
    >>invalid key
    >>
    >>I remembered, vaguely - I sift through a lot of
    security mail each day,
    >some
    >>
    >>talk of a rumoured Linux kernel exploit circulating
    among members of the=

    >>hacker
    >>underground. On the advice of some friends in
    law-enforcement I joined
    >the
    >>EFnet
    >>channels #phrack and #darknet and tried to solicit
    some information rega=
    >rding
    >>this
    >>alleged exploit. Most people publicly attacked me for
    my neivette but tw=
    >>individuals
    >>contacted me via private messages and informed me
    that the "ac1db1tch3z"=

    >>were bad news,
    >>apparently a group of older (mid 20's) security
    guru's, and that I shoul=
    >>delete the
    >>exploit and forget I ever knew it existed.
    >>However, somthing twigged my sense of adventure and
    prompted me to try
    >and
    >>get this out
    >>to the community.
    >>
    >>Any help or information regarding this will be of
    great help.

    >>I have attached the binary although it appears to be
    encrypted and passw=
    >orded.
    >>I wish
    >>any skilled programmers the best of luck in
    decyphering it.

    >>Yours,
    >>
    >>Daniel Roberts
    >>Head Network Manager

    >----
    >>This list is provided by the SecurityFocus ARIS
    analyzer service.
    >>For more information on this free incident handling,
    management
    http://aris.securityfocus.com