Re: PGP Corporation Beta License Agreement

From: Jon Callas (jonat_private)
Date: Thu Oct 17 2002 - 23:18:53 PDT

    >Can any one enlighten me on this statement in the PGP Corporation Beta
    >License Agreement?
    >
    >YOU HEREBY EXPRESSLY CONSENT TO PGP'S PROCESSING OF YOUR
    PERSONAL DATA
    >(WHICH MAY BE COLLECTED BY PGP OR ITS DISTRIBUTORS) ACCORDING
    TO PGP'S
    >CURRENT PRIVACY POLICY.
    >
    >This is one of those touchy situations with trust. If you read the Privacy
    >policy, non-personal information is spelled out clearly. But not where does
    >it state what "YOUR PERSONAL DATA" means.

    The privacy policy, at <http://www.pgp.com/privacy.php> says, "Personal
    information is any information associated with your name or personal identity. Non-
    personal information is data about usage patterns, reported in aggregate, which is
    not associated with a specific personal identity." Do we need to put an example
    there?

    What that statement means is that if, for example, you buy something from us, we
    would use your personal address to ship you a package.

    Some people have found this confusing, thinking that "PGP" refers to the software,
    not the company. We're revising the license for a later beta or the real release, so
    as to be clearer about this. We'll be sure to use "PGP Corporation" to be explicit.

    If there are other things we can do to make it clearer that we make a commitment to
    protect your privacy, please let me know. It's hard to get these things right, and
    we're trying to eschew boilerplate, as boilerplate licenses frequently have things in
    them none of us like. Send me mail, let me know what you find confusing, and I'll
    look at it personally.

        Jon

    --
    Jon Callas