RE: KaZaA

From: Christopher Wagner (chriswat_private)
Date: Fri Oct 18 2002 - 10:44:03 PDT

    These ads are most likely "safe" as far as trojans go, depending on your
    definition of trojan.  Most of them, however, use ad tracking and
    "phone-home" to the originating company.  Many will install cookies and some
    will even install other pop-up software on your computer without your
    knowledge to pop-up ads based on the content of other sites you visit.

    For instance, some pop-up programs will see you going to
    "www.competitorswebsite.com" and replace in-line content with content of
    their choice or pop-up ads for their site.  Pop-up ads are becoming VERY
    intrusive to the end-users' computer.

    I recommend not using KaZaA, or getting the "ad-free" version (KaZaA Gold I
    think?) of their software.  In addition, I use Lavasoft's Ad-Aware to scan
    my system for spy-ware/ad-ware on my computer and remove it.  Bear in mind,
    many programs that incorporate ad-ware will NOT function without their
    ad-ware, KaZaA is one of them.  Ad-Aware is available for download at their
    website www.lavasoftusa.com.

    I choose to use other file-sharing programs that do not incorporate
    ad-ware/spy-ware in their products.  WinMX (www.winmx.com) or Gnucleus
    (www.gnucleus.net), for example.  If you still wish to use KaZaA, you run
    the risk of getting "spammed" even when you're not running KaZaA and having
    your web content unknowingly altered.  I wish I could remember some
    reference sites to give you, but I can't remember any off the top of my
    head.  I hope this helps.

    - Christopher Wagner
    chriswat_private

    Packaging Aids Corporation - Information Systems
    P.O. Box 9144
    San Rafael, CA 94912-9144
    http://www.pacaids.com/
    (415) 454-4868 x116