Windows 2000 SNMP DoS

From: Chris Anley (chrisat_private)
Date: Tue Oct 22 2002 - 10:22:56 PDT

    Hi folks,

    I just verified that a bug I found a while (read: a year) ago was fixed in
    Windows 2000 service pack 3. I didn't get a notification from MS about the
    fix so apologies for the delay in posting the full details.

    The bug is the one referenced at
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q296815

    If you send SNMP queries for printer - related objects in the LANMAN MIB,
    the SNMP service leaks around 30MB of memory per request, but only if the
    print spooler service is *not* running. This eventually brings the whole
    server down, with a powercycle needed to restart.

    A lengthier advisory can be found at
    http://www.ngssoftware.com/advisories/snmp_dos.txt

    Once again, this is an old bug, fixed in Windows 2000 SP3. I'm publishing
    this so folks with pre-sp3 boxes are aware of the issue.

         -chris.