Re: vpopmail CGIapps vpasswd vulnerabilities

From: Jeremy C. Reed (reedat_private)
Date: Thu Oct 24 2002 - 10:41:48 PDT

    > Product Name: vpopmail-CGIApps
    > Systems: Linux/OpenBSD/FreeBSD/NetBSD

    At first I thought this meant it was available from these *BSD package
    collections.

    But I guess this means that this applies to any system that supports
    os.system using a shell.

    Also the name of the program is vpasswd.cgi (not to be confused with
    different vpasswd).

    > .: Workaround
    >
    > Before the os.system() method is called:
    >
    > string.replace(direc, ";", "")
    > string.replace(passx, ";", "")

    Also, need to check for other shell operators, meta-characters, etc.

    > The vendor has released version 0.3 in response of this advisory.

    I see the fix has a partial fix.

    It doesn't check for `backtick` or $(rm whatever) etc.

    Also, it shouldn't just blindly replace with nothing and still run
    command, because it may still have unexpected results (so better to just
    error instead).

       Jeremy C. Reed

       http://bsd.reedmedia.net/