[Full-Disclosure] sympatico.ca uses weak encryption on their billing server

From: George Staikos (staikosat_private)
Date: Tue Oct 29 2002 - 15:23:07 PST

    Bell Canada Sympatico is one of the largest Internet providers in Canada.

    After repeated requests over the past month to multiple addresses at Bell
    Canada/Sympatico's security and network contacts, I have given up hope.
    Their billing server, https://www.billing.sympatico.ca/, is still running
    Netscape 3.6 SP3 with a 40 bit export-level encryption key.  They insist that
    this is strong encryption, and the people answering my emails are too
    incompetent to understand my concerns that they use a stronger encryption
    key.  The responses I generally received were that I did not have my mouse in
    the right place to see the padlock.

    This server is used to store all the personal and billing information for
    customers of Bell Sympatico.  It also allows customers to modify their
    account settings and preferences.  Given the age of the software and the
    known exploits for it, along with the weak encryption key in use, I recommend
    not using the online account management system, and complaining very loudly
    to Bell.

    --

    George Staikos

    Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.