Bug in EventSave

From: Frank Heyne (fhat_private)
Date: Fri Nov 01 2002 - 12:38:57 PST

    Heysoft Security Bulletin

    Title:		Bug in EventSave and EventSave+

    Date:		01 November 2002

    Software:	EventSave prior to version 5.3
    		EventSave+ prior to version 5.3

    Vendor:		Frank Heyne Software
    		http://www.heysoft.de/

    Impact:		Loss of events

    Max Risk:	Critical

    HTML version:	http://www.heysoft.de/nt/eventlog/hsb01e.htm

    Introduction:
    =============
    EventSave is a popular Freeware program. It moves all events from the
    current Windows NT (all versions) event logs into backup files.
    Independant of how often the software is run, it moves all events from
    the same month and type from a machine into the same destination file.
    Actually, moving the events is done by a copy, followed by cleaning
    the current logs.

    EventSave+ is part of the Shareware "Report Event", a suite of 9 tools
    for managing Windows NT event logs. It works as EventSave, but does
    allow to move only the events of certain types of logs.

    The bug:
    ========
    When the program is not run for the first time in a month, it appends
    events to the (already existing) target file. But as long as the target
    file is opened by Microsoft's Event Viewer, no other program can write
    into this file. EventSave(+) did miss to check whether it successfully
    could append the events or not. There was no error returned, and the
    current log was cleaned. Events which should have been moved into the
    evt file opened by Microsoft's Event Viewer got lost.

    Mitigating Factors:
    ===================
    Using a non blocking Event Viewer, like Elwiz from www.heysoft.de, for
    viewing evt files does allow EventSave(+) to write to the file which
    is currently opened by this viewer. (Actually, because we prefer Elwiz
    over Event Viewer, we did not find this bug earlier.)

    Patch Availability:
    ===================
    Version 5.3 of the Freeware program EventSave is available from
    http://www.heysoft.de/nt/eventlog/ep-es.htm
    This version will give a hint if the target file is not writable,
    and it will write the events to a spare file in such a case.
    One could use MER, which is also part of the "Report Event" suite,
    to merge the events from the spare file into the correct target file
    later. Information about "Report Event" is available from
    http://www.heysoft.de/nt/eventlog/ep-re.htm

    Version 5.3 of EventSave+ is available for all registered users of
    "Report Event". Customers with a valid Support Pack already received
    an information where to download the new version. Customers without
    a valid Support Pack should contact supportat_private and provide
    their registration number to receive the update.

    Acknowledgment:
    ===============
    The person who reported the bug said:
    "I am not looking for publicity..."
    Anyway, you know who you are, thanks for bringing the problem to my
    attention.

    Final remark:
    =============
    I am sorry for the bug beeing there for so long. I don't know whether
    there was a loss of events anywhere (except for the customer who
    informed me about the bug). But because I am a firm believer in the
    idea of full disclosure, I think it is necessary to make the bug public.
    There seems to be a piece of truth in the saying that a software without
    a bug will never exist. Now you know why the documentation of my
    programs always tells you "Use this program on your own risk."

    Frank Heyne

    Greetings

    Frank Heyne