[Full-Disclosure] Re: MDKSA-2002:076 - perl-MailTools update

From: Vincent Danen (vdanenat_private)
Date: Thu Nov 07 2002 - 17:38:23 PST

    On Thursday, November 7, 2002, at 04:22 PM, Mandrake Linux Security
    Team wrote:

    > _
    >
    >                 Mandrake Linux Security Update Advisory
    > _
    >
    > Package name:           perl-MailTools
    > Advisory ID:            MDKSA-2002:076
    > Date:                   November 7th, 2002
    >
    > Affected versions:      7.2, 8.0, 8.1, 8.2, 9.0
    > _
    >
    > Problem Description:
    >
    >  A vulnerability was discovered in Mail::Mailer perl module by the SuSE
    >  security team during an audit.  The vulnerability allows remote
    >  attackers to execute arbitrary commands in certain circumstances due
    >  to the usage of mailx as the default mailer, a program that allows
    >  commands to be embedded in the mail body.
    >
    >  This module is used by some auto-response programs and spam filters
    >  which make use of Mail::Mailer.
    > _

    >   http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2002-August/027223.html
    >   http://python.org/sf/590294

    My apologies.  These aren't the references for this vulnerability;
    they're for the python vulnerability we're working on.

    Sorry for the confusion.

    --
    MandrakeSoft Security; http://www.mandrakesecure.net/
    "lynx -source http://linsec.ca/vdanen.asc | gpg --import"