[Full-Disclosure] [VulnWatch] XSS in Postnuke Rogue release (0.72)

From: Muhammad Faisal Rauf Danka (mfrdat_private)
Date: Thu Nov 07 2002 - 22:49:33 PST

    Program: Postnuke Rogue release (0.72) (Latest).
    HomePage: www.Postnuke.com/.org

    PostNuke is a weblog/Content Management System (CMS). Whilst PostNuke is a fork of PHP-Nuke, the entire core of the product has been replaced, making it far more secure and stable, and able to work in high-volume environments with ease.

    Some of the highlights of PostNuke are
    customisation of all aspects of the website's appearance through themes, including CSS support
    the ability to specify items as being suitable for either a single or all languages
    the best guarantee of displaying your webpages on all browsers due to HTML 4.01 transitional compliance
    a standard API and extensive documentation to allow for easy creation of extended functionality through modules and blocks

    Problem:

    The XSS was found fixed on postnuke's own website, but not in their code available for download.

    I have previously mentioned it on bugtraq too:

    http://online.securityfocus.com/archive/1/293813

    Recently a friend emailed and informed me that his latest build still has same problem, which I mentioned in my earlier post. I thought since it was fixed on postnuke's own website then probably it'd be patched in their latest build too.

    I just checked it again by downloading and building fresh postnuke.

    The popup still comes, along with DB error.

    Exploit: http://ip.ad.dr.ess/postnuke/html/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=>alert(document.cookie);</script>

    WorkAround:
    Wait for a fixed version by postnuke team. Or edit the php script to validate input properly for script tags as well.

    P.S. Email was sent to securityat_private which was bounced back. I couldn’t find any contact address on their website, except for registering myself on their forums. And as someone else also mentioned that why should one be bound to register there just for a contact.

    On postnuke’s own website this issue is handled very effectively by bouncing the user back to the “./index.php” without giving any errors, thus reducing the chances of webroot disclosure too. I hope such functionality be added to the downloadable version of postnuke’s latest build too for the benefit of the users.

    Regards
    --------
    Muhammad Faisal Rauf Danka

    Head of GemSEC / Chief Technology Officer
    Gem Internet Services (Pvt) Ltd.
    web: www.gem.net.pk
    Key Id: 0x784B0202
    Key Fingerprint: 6F8C EDCF 6C6E 06A5 48D7 6A20 C592 484B
    784B 0202

    [ATTITUDEX.COM]
    http://www.attitudex.com/

    Select your own custom email address for FREE! Get youat_private w/No Ads, 6MB, POP & more! http://www.everyone.net/selectmail?campaign=tag