Re: Bypassing website filter in SonicWall

From: Justin King (justinat_private)
Date: Thu Nov 07 2002 - 10:15:05 PST

    Why are people constantly focusing on reverse lookups in this thread? How
    does this make sense? How often are reverse lookups really accurate for web
    servers?

    I think it would be better for this software to keep the list of domains,
    and routinely do *forward* lookups, and add the IPs to a blacklist.

    For instance, you could look up www.google.com every two hours, and
    blacklist every IP returned with a two to four hour timeout. In addition,
    still check the http host header.

    Further, the firewall could filter dns requests and stop any relating to an
    invalid domain. Obviously, it's near impossible to allow all except a few,
    but forward lookups with IP blacklisting seems to make a lot more sense than
    reverse lookups on every request.

    -Justin