Re: A technique to mitigate cookie-stealing XSS attacks

From: David Wagner (dawat_private)
Date: Thu Nov 07 2002 - 20:23:56 PST

    Florian Weimer  wrote:
    >What about HTTP headers which advise user agents to disable some
    >features, e.g. read/write access to the document or parts of it via
    >scripting or other Internet Explorer interfaces?

    HTTP headers are arguably the wrong place, but it might make sense to
    have a <NOSCRIPTS> tag that would require the browser to turn off all
    scripting for the entire HTML document, or somesuch.  For instance,
    application-layer proxies could add such a tag to all data crossing the
    firewall, and places like Hotmail prepend such a tag to all HTML-formatted
    email they receive before displaying it to the user.  Of course, we would
    have to trust browsers to respect such a tag, but it could potentially
    give a very simple, high-assurance way to turn off dangerous features.