Re: [Full-Disclosure] Bind 8 patches available

From: Peter Bieringer (pbat_private)
Date: Sat Nov 16 2002 - 02:50:41 PST

    --On Friday, November 15, 2002 10:03:57 AM +0000
    John.Aireyat_private wrote:

    > I also
    > recognise how vital that the root name servers and ccTLD servers
    > are patched first (rather worringly, the ISC says the root name
    > servers and TLD servers have to be patched first.

    But does this really happen on root servers?

    version.bind CHAOS/TXT check shows:

    # for i in a b c d e f g h i j k l m; do dig -c chaos -t txt
    version.bind @$i.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.  | grep -v "^;;" | grep -v "^$" |
    grep -v ";vers"; echo;  done

    VGRS1:      a,j
    8.2.5-REL:  b
    8.3.3-REL:  c,e,f,h
    8.3.1-REL:  d
    8.3.2-REL:  g,i,k
    BIND-8.3.1-MA-PATCH-JMB-01: l
    8.3.3-REL:  m

    Patches are available for:
    BIND 8.3.3
     applies with some offsets on 8.3.2 and 8.3.1 (untested whether
    compilable and working afterwards)

    BIND 8.2.6
     applies on 8.2.5 (with unimportant minor changes, untested whether
    compilable and working afterwards)

    So from this point of view it could be happen.

    BTW: are root DNS servers using the full and in many cases very
    useful featureset of BIND? I thought they only serve one zone, namely
    the "." and run some zonetransfer between each other, why not using
    i.e. djbdns here ;-)

    Any comments?

            Peter

    ---
    Dr. Peter Bieringer
    mailto: pb at bieringer dot de
    http://www.bieringer.de/pb/
    Key 0x958F422D : B501 24F4 9418 23E2 C0F3  F833 7B57 AA7B 958F 422D

    _______________________________________________ Full-Disclosure - We believe in it. Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html