Unofficial statement re: tcpdump and libpcap

From: Alan DeKok (alandat_private)
Date: Wed Nov 13 2002 - 12:01:28 PST

      There was a post on Slashdot recently [1] about a trojan in tcpdump
    and libpcap.  The post referred to two web pages [2], and [3], which
    describe the trojan.

      Unfortunately, the web pages at this time say nothing about whether
    or not the maintainers of tcpdump were contacted.  The Slashdot post
    claims that that the discoverers of this vulnerability have "notified
    the maintainers of tcpdump.org.", but does NOT mention where that
    notification was sent.

      While I am not one of the tcpdump maintainers, I have been in
    contact with the host of tcpdump.org, and he has not, as yet, found
    any such a notification which is immediately obvious.

      The date on the web pages describing the vulnerability is "Wed Nov
    13 03:44:08 CST 2002".  Tcpdump is hosted in the EST time zone, and
    the host of tcpdump.org has been out of touch for much of the day, due
    to travelling via airline to a conference.  So the time between any
    alleged notification and action would have been unfortunately larger
    than usual.

      The release of the vulnerability information appears to have been
    ill-timed, at best.  At worst, I find it surprising that the
    vulnerability was posted at 3am, and that the host and maintainers of
    tcpdump.org were not aware of this issue late last night.

      It appears that the time between any alleged "notification", and the
    release of the vulnerability information was disappointingly small.

      After consulting with the host of tcpdump.org, I took the machine
    off-line late this morning.  I'm disappointed that the discoverers of
    this problem did not give adequate time to respond to this issue, and
    to correct it.

      As to how the files were trojaned, that topic is still being
    investigated.  I took a NetBSD security officer along with me to
    investigate the problem, while I was removing the machine from the
    net.  A cursory investigation yeilded nothing obvious, other than that
    the machine was running an older version of NetBSD.

      The NetBSD project may, or may not, issue an official statement
    later.  I cannot speak for them.

      The TCPDump maintainers may, or may not, issue an official statement
    later.  I cannot speak for them.

      In summary, the people who found these vulnerabilities did NOT
    follow reasonable notification methods or timings.  Many of the people
    involved only discovered the problem through Slashdot, or through
    being contacted by a friend who had seen the post on Slashdot.

      This message is meant mainly to stop any speculation or confusion,
    (as seen in the Slashdot comments), and to start the process of
    setting the record straight about the events under discussion.

      I welcome comments from the originators of the report, and/or people
    listed on the web pages in [2], and [3].  I especially welcome
    information as to:

      a) WHO they notified
      b) WHEN they sent that notification
      b) WHEN the discovered the vulnerability

      Answers to these questions would go a long way to furthering
    openness and good-will on this issue.

      Alan DeKok.
    - ------
    [1] http://slashdot.org/articles/02/11/13/1255243.shtml?tid=172