(MSIE) when parent gives his son bad things ;) --"dialogArguments " again

From: Liu Die Yu (liudieyuinchinaat_private)
Date: Mon Nov 18 2002 - 17:45:45 PST

    IFRAME in a page opened by "openModalDialog" has  "dialogArguments" of its
    parent.

    [tested]MSIEv6(CN version)
    {IEXPLORE.EXE file version: 6.0.2600.0000}
    {MSHTML.DLL file version: 6.00.2600.0000}

    [demo]
    at
    http://www16.brinkster.com/liudieyu/BadParent/BadParent-MyPage.htm
    or
    clik.to/liudieyu ==> BadParent-MyPage section.

    /*note: please tell me if "MSIE SP1" allows an internet page contains an
    iframe with local content*/

    [exp]
    IFRAME in a page opened by "openModalDialog" has  "dialogArguments" of its
    parent. so Attacker can open (via "openModalDialog") his page  which
    contains an iframe whose content is in the victim zone and
    uses "dialogArguments" directly without filtering.

    in the demo:
    (*)"victim zone" is localzone;
    (*)the page from victim zone is "res://shdoclc.dll/privacypolicy.dlg"; it
    uses "cookieUrl" without filtering.

    [how]
    realize that IFRAME has some properties the same  as those of its parent.
    but the parent can be bad.

    (BTW, i used to hate that my parents give me many bad things, now i
    realize it's my job to resist bad things. ;) )

    [contact]
    clik.to/liudieyu ==> "How to contact Liu Die Yu" section