Open WebMail 1.71 "background" magic info

From: FreeBSDbr Bugtraq DataBase (db-bugtraqat_private)
Date: Tue Nov 19 2002 - 04:30:10 PST

    Hello Folks,

    Open Webmail is a perl webmail program that runs on UNIX operational systems.
    For more about Open WebMail, itīs official website is http://openwebmail.org/.

    Ok, letīs talk about the problem.

    Iīve tested Open WebMail 1.71 an when you enter an invalid username (user
    that doesnīt exist on the system), the
    WebMail returns to you a "very nice screen" like it:

    ---
    Open WebMail ERROR

    user does not exist

    Open WebMail version 1.71
    ---

    Ok, now try to copy with your mouse the all message that returned to you,
    and...

    ---
    Open WebMail ERROR

    user does not exist
    euid=0, egid=80 80 80, mailgid=6

    Open WebMail version 1.71
    ---

    ...KABOOM! Look what magically appears:

    "euid=0, egid=80 80 80, mailgid=6"

    allright, letīs verify the information:

    ps aux
    root        9044  0.0  3.0  3248 2776  ??  R    10:29AM
    0:00.40 /usr/bin/perl -T /usr/local/www/cgi-bin/openwebmail/.openwebmail.pl

    As you can see above, the perl scrip run as root, and we can know it just
    with the "magically information" that appears on the "very nice screen".

    Thatīs could be the begin for an attack... know information.

    Yeah guys, something is wrong... Some information is better than we can
    imagine, and some information like it to the wrong (or right) guys... :)

    Hugs,

    Felipe Neuwald
    felipeat_private

    --