RE: Cracking OpenVMS passwords with John the Ripper

From: mooseat_private
Date: Tue Nov 26 2002 - 14:03:31 PST

    Although OpenVMS passwords are not case sensitive and limited to
    alphanumeric characters, that does not mean cracking passwords is easier on
    OpenVMS than on other systems.

    The algorithm used to encode OpenVMS passwords is irreversible (mentioned
    for the sake of completeness).

    The password length is not limited to 8 characters. To give you an example,
    compare an 8 character password using ASCII ("!".."~") with a 10 character
    OpenVMS password: (127-33)**8/(2+26+10)**10=0.97

    BTW most sites require the use of at least one digit, one special
    character, a non-alphanumberic character at the beginning etc. for unix and
    ms-dos. That limits the number of permutations significantly and you might
    end up with a number of possible passwords that can be cracked in less than
    a second if your system limits the password length to 8 characters.

    There are a few other important features which are not so well known by the
    general hackers society (or shall I say script kiddies?).

    OpenVMS users do not have access to the (encoded) passwords. A privilege
    like SYSPRV would grant access to the system user authorization file
    (SYSUAF), but a system administrator with this privilege already has access
    to the entire machine.

    OpenVMS comes with intrusion detection. An attempt to guess the password
    will trigger counter measures.

    Exploiting typical vulnerabilities in poorly ported c/c++ unix/ms-dos
    applications is much more difficult because of the Alpha (and VAX)
    architecture and many OpenVMS features (see http://www.openvms.compaq.com/
    for further information).

    I suggest you send your announcemnt to comp.os.vms - just to take flak!