RE: Exploit for traceroute-nanog overflow

From: Carl Livitt (carlat_private)
Date: Mon Dec 02 2002 - 10:36:26 PST

    Hi all,

    Further to my email posting a working exploit for traceroute-nanog on SuSE
    boxes, it would appear the the patch provided by SuSE does not address the
    overflow my exploit... um... exploits.

    On a patched SuSE 7.2 box:

    carl@titan:~/exploits/traceroute-nanog > rpm -qa | grep traceroute
    traceroute-6.1.1-0
    carl@titan:~/exploits/traceroute-nanog > ./traceroute-exploit -d
    Now run this exploit with the '-e' flag.
    carl@titan:~/exploits/traceroute-nanog > ./traceroute-exploit -e
    traceroute to www.yahoo.akadns.net (64.58.76.230), 30 hops max, 40 byte
    packets
     1 sh-2.05$ id
    uid=500(carl) gid=100(users) groups=100(users)
    sh-2.05$

    Note that traceroute now drops root privileges (properly; there is no way to
    get them back), so even though it is still possible to execute arbitrary code
    via a stack overflow, it cannot be done as root.

    Of course, if an attacker could control the server that traceroute uses to
    lookup DNS admin contact names, then it would be possible to exploit this
    flaw remotely. However, the default server used by traceroute is 'localhost'
    which makes this almost impossible to exploit in any other way except locally
    on an unpatched system.

    Cheers,
    Carl.