[Full-Disclosure] Re: [VulnWatch] Password Disclosure in Cryptainer

From: Kurt Seifried (kurtat_private)
Date: Mon Dec 16 2002 - 16:50:18 PST

    Uhh, you do not strictly need physical access. Simple scenarios:

    Remote administrative access, does a memory dump.

    Laptop or desktop system that supports suspend mode, when in suspend the
    contents of memory are written to the harddrive. When brought out of suspend
    this data is "deleted" (i.e. the space is marked as free), an attacker could
    potentially find the password somewhere on the HD.

    System crash in WIndows NT/2000/XP where the person has configured it to
    write a memory dump, the attacker could trigger this system crash (and the
    resulting memory dump). How many people actually bother to delete emory
    dumps after a crash? I thought so.

    Data deletion/wiping/protection is a LOT harder then most people think. A
    powerpoint of the talk I gave at Hivercon is available at:

    http://www.hivercon.com/hc02/talk-seifried.htm

    Quite a few technical remote attack scenarios. To say nothing of Legal based
    local attacks.

    My advice: use a product with a good security track record like PGP and not
    these "no-name/generic" apps that 9 times out of 10 are broken beyond
    belief.

    Kurt Seifried, kurtat_private
    A15B BEE5 B391 B9AD B0EF
    AEB0 AD63 0B4E AD56 E574