[VulnWatch] PHP-Nuke mail CRLF Injection vulnerabilities

From: Ulf Harnhammar (ulfhat_private)
Date: Fri Dec 20 2002 - 02:32:21 PST

    PHP-Nuke mail CRLF Injection vulnerabilities

    PROGRAM: PHP-Nuke
    VENDOR: Fransisco Burzi et al.
    HOMEPAGE: http://phpnuke.org/
    VULNERABLE VERSIONS: 6.0 (the only supported version)
    IMMUNE VERSIONS: 6.0 with my patch applied
    LOGIN REQUIRED: no

    "PHP-Nuke is a Web portal and online community system which
    includes Web-based administration, surveys, access statistics,
    user customizable boxes, a themes manager for registered users,
    friendly administration GUI with graphic topic manager, the
    ability to edit or delete stories, an option to delete comments,
    a moderation system, referer tracking, integrated banner ad system,
    search engine, backend/headlines generation (RSS/RDF format), Web
    directory like Yahoo, events manager, and support for 20+ languages."

    (direct quote from the program's project page at Freshmeat)

    PHP-Nuke is published under the terms of the GNU General Public
    License. It is a very popular program with lots and lots of
    installations. It is included as one of the packages in Debian
    GNU/Linux and one of FreeBSD's ports.

    Despite all this, the program has a bad reputation regarding
    security matters.

    SUMMARY:

    PHP-Nuke has got four functions that allow restricted sending of
    e-mails: Feedback, Recommend Us, Send (news item) to a Friend and
    Send this Journal to a Friend. They either restrict who you can send
    e-mails to or what message you can send to them. They are open for
    anonymous users as well as regular users.

    By submitting special data, an attacker can escape these restrictions
    and use someone else's PHP-Nuke installation to send HTML e-mails
    to any recipient with any message that they like.

    TECHNICAL DETAILS:

    The fourth parameter to PHP's mail() function contains the additional
    mail headers that PHP doesn't have a special parameter for. In this
    case, it's used to add From and Reply-To headers. When PHP-Nuke
    constructs the value for this parameter, it doesn't check the form
    data it's using for CR and LF characters. As a result, an attacker
    can supply extra mail headers and even an extra mail body, and they
    will be included in the mail between the real headers and the real
    body. This is done by simply including CR and LF characters in the
    form data field that contains your e-mail address. If the attacker
    includes an HTML message ending with a "<!--" tag or a
    "<font color='something'>" tag that sets the foreground colour to
    the background colour, the real mail body will not be shown in
    many programs.

    COMMUNICATION WITH VENDOR:

    I didn't contact the vendor, as Fransisco has a very bad track
    record when it comes to replying to security reports.

    MY "SECURITY HARDENING PACKAGE":

    Instead I wrote an unofficial patch for this issue. I have patched
    against version 6.0.

    The patch simply replaces all CR and LF characters in the vulnerable
    variables with spaces, and then the exploit doesn't work anymore.

    // Ulf Harnhammar
       VSU Security
       ulfhat_private

    "I saw the worst minds of my generation / getting their political
     information from tabloids / listening to Savage Garden's greatest
     hits / getting married and having kids at 25 just 'cause the
     neighbours did / and building the worst administrative web-based
     members interface ever known to man" (To B.)