Re: More information regarding Etherleak

From: Peter Turczak (p_turczakat_private)
Date: Fri Jan 10 2003 - 15:24:49 PST

    On Friday 10 January 2003 18:02, Ofir Arkin wrote:
    > Who is vulnerable?
    > ------------------
    > Josh Anderson and I tested several Ethernet cards and device drivers.
    >
    > We have found several device drivers which are vulnerable but we never
    > attempted to find them all. It is simply because there are too many.
    > Therefore we have contacted CERT more than 6 months ago and sent them
    > the Etherleak paper and asked them to contact OS manufactures, Network
    > device manufactures, Chipset manufactures, motherboard manufactures and
    > other manufactures and vendors who might need to check their device
    > driver's implementations.
    >
    > In our tests we have experienced this bug under 4 different operating
    > systems:
    >
    > - Linux
    > - NetBSD
    > - FreeBSD
    > - Microsoft Windows

    I audited our system running under various operating systems.
    The following OS do _not_ pad the packets with zero but something else, if
    anybody is interested in the dumps of the frames produced while testing, feel
    free to contact me.

    Machine		OS		Version

    IBM iSeries	OS/400
    IBM RS/6000	AIX 		4.3
    Sun E450		Solaris	8
    HP Printers		JetDirect	Various

    Identification of the vunerability was done by "ping -s1 <host>" and analysing
    the resulting answers using ethereal, looking if the ethernet trailer was
    different from all zero.

    Greetings

       Peter Turczak

    - --