Re: NIS 2003 crash

From: Sym Security (symsecurityat_private)
Date: Fri Jan 17 2003 - 11:13:20 PST

    On January 11, 2003 Pavel P. reported the following regarding Norton
    Internet Security 2003:

    ---------------snip--------------------------
    Subject: NIS 2003 crash

    NIS2003 - I have WinXP Pro with SP1 and Norton Internet Security installed
    on my machine. When I ping my machine with the following parameter:

    ping "My IP" -l 65500

    where "My IP" represents my IP number, the computer halts with a blue
    screen error. The problem is most probably in Intrusion Detection, since
    when I switch it off, the problem disappears.
    Does anyone experience the same problem with NIS? I Tried to reinstall my
    computer withou any effect.

    ---------------snip--------------------------

    Reference:   Bugtraq ID 6598, Symantec Norton Internet Security ICMP Packet
    Flood Denial Of Service Vulnerability

    Symantec Security Response Advisory,
    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/security/Content/2003.01.17.html

    Symantec Norton Internet Security ICMP Packet Flood Denial Of Service
    Vulnerability

    Risk
    Low

    Overview
    Symantec is aware of an issue with the Symantec Norton Personal Firewall
    2003.  A Microsoft Windows 2000 or Windows XP system with Symantec Norton
    Personal Firewall 2003 installed can experience a crash when sending an
    excessively large echo request.

    Components Affected
    Norton Personal Firewall 2003
    Norton Internet Security 2003
    Norton Internet Security 2003 Professional Edition

    Description
    On 13 January 2003, Symantec became aware of an issue originally reported
    on BugTraq. By sending an excessively large echo request, a crash can occur
    on a Windows 2000 or Windows XP system with Symantec Norton Personal
    Firewall 2003 installed.

    Symantec Response
    Symantec engineers have evaluated and verified that this issue exists for
    Symantec's Norton Personal Firewall 2003, Symantec's Norton Internet
    Security 2003 as well as Symantec's Norton Internet Security 2003
    Professional Edition. Sending this excessively large echo request results
    in the overflow of an internal buffer and causes a crash of the system.
    This issue does not occur on systems running Windows 9x, Windows ME or
    Windows NT.

    Symantec takes any product issue such as this very seriously. We have
    developed an update for Symantec Norton Personal Firewall 2003, Symantec
    Norton Internet Security 2003 and Symantec Norton Internet Security 2003
    Professional Edition to address this issue. The update is now available via
    LiveUpdate.

    There are some circumstances that greatly mitigate the risk associated with
    this issue. In this instance, the system is attempting to send an
    excessively large echo request. Any attempt to do this requires either
    local access to the targeted system to initiate the request or malicious
    code that initiates the request is downloaded and executed on the target
    system.

    As a best practice, Symantec recommends keeping all operating systems and
    applications updated with the latest vendor patches. Keeping
    mission-critical systems updated with all security patches applied reduces
    risk exposure. Symantec further recommends using a multi-layered approach
    to security.  Users, at a minimum, should run both personal firewall and
    antivirus applications to provide multiple points of detection and
    protection to both inbound and outbound threats.

    Users should further be wary of mysterious attachments and executables
    delivered via email. Do not open attachments or executables from unknown
    sources. Always err on the side of caution. Even if the sender is known, be
    wary of attachments if the sender does not explain the attachment content
    in the body of the email. You do not know the source of the attachment. If
    in doubt, contact the sender before opening the attachment. If still in
    doubt, delete the attachment without opening it.

    Note: The proper contact for information and coordination regarding this
    issue or any security issues with Symantec products is through
    symsecurityat_private

    Copyright (c) 2003 by Symantec Corp.
    Permission to redistribute this alert electronically is granted as long as
    it is not edited in any way unless authorized by Symantec Security
    Response. Reprinting the whole or parts of this alert in any medium other
    than electronically requires permission from symsecurityat_private

    Disclaimer
    The information in the advisory is believed to be accurate at the time of
    publishing based on currently available information. Use of the information
    constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are no
    warranties with regard to this information. Neither the author nor the
    publisher accepts any liability for any direct, indirect, or consequential
    loss or damage arising from use of, or reliance on, this information.

    Symantec, Symantec products, Symantec Security Response, and SymSecurity
    are registered trademarks of Symantec Corp. and/or affiliated companies in
    the United States and other countries. All other registered and
    unregistered trademarks represented in this document are the sole property
    of their respective companies/owners.