ipfilter denial of service problem

From: Yiming Gong (yimingat_private)
Date: Sun Jan 05 2003 - 19:15:40 PST

    Below is an ipfilter security issue, and my previous mail to author
    Darren was bounced back, so I think maybe I should mail it to this
    mailing list.

    Overview
    --
    Anytime ipfilter see a packet with ACK bit set without the previous SYN,
    it will marked it as TCPS_ESTABLISHED in it's state table, and for

    But If an attact send packet with ACK bit set and bad checksum, ipfilter
    will happily add an "ESTABLISHED" session into it's state table which
    will wait 120 hours to timeout instead of the normal 1 minutes!

    So using this way an evil guy can easily  destroy  the network
    connection of any system with ipfilter installed in a few minutes!

    proof of concept
    --
    [yimingat_private]#hping -s ip.of.spoofedandtrusted.box -A
    ip.of.target.box  -p 22 -c 1 -b

    you will immediately see a a long wait ttl of 120 hours, like this

    security.zz.ha.cn,1235  server,22     4/0  tcp       1        40
    119:59:48

    Affected Versions:
    --
    I've test the following version of ipfilter

    IP Filter: v3.4.30

    IP Filter: v3.4.29 (400)

    a chinese vesion of these security issue is at

    http://security.zz.ha.cn

    Best wishes!

    --
    我要更好的生活