Re: OPENSSH REMOTE ROOT COMPROMISE ALL VERSIONS

From: Global InterSec Research (listsat_private)
Date: Mon Jan 06 2003 - 12:05:32 PST

    As some may have gathered, the advisory recently posted by mmhsat_private
    was indeed a fake, intended to highlight several unclear statements made in GIS2002062801.

    The advisory in question is currently being updated with more detailed information and will be
    re-posted at: http://www.globalintersec.com/adv/openssh-2002062801.txt as soon as it becomes
    available.

    Note that the kbd-init flaw described in GIS2002062801 was proven to be exploitable in our lab
    although not all evidence to demonstrate this was provided in the original advisory. A mistake
    was made in the original advisory draft, where chunk content data was shown, rather than the
    entire corrupted malloc chunk. This will be amended in the revision.

    Also note that to our knowledge there are currently no known, exploitable flaws in OpenSSH 3.5p1,
    due to its use of PAM as suggested by mmhsat_private It is almost certain that the posted
    bogus advisory was also intended to cause alarm amongst communities using OpenSSH, through
    miss-information.

    Global InterSec LLC.