RE: Attacking EFS through cached domain logon credentials

From: John Howie (JHowieat_private)
Date: Mon Jan 20 2003 - 22:32:12 PST

    Todd (and lists),

    You wrote:

    > This is not completely correct, and I wanted to clarify how an attack
    > against a domain-member's EFS encrypted files can work.  The threat
    > model is this:

    It is important to distinguish between a weakness in EFS (there is none,
    as described here) and the risk associated with using cached logon
    credentials.

    It is not just EFS which is at risk through 'cracking' an account like
    you describe, there are so many other 'secrets' in a user's profile
    including passwords to websites remembered by IE, POP3 email account
    passwords in Outlook and Outlook Express, VPN passwords, etc.

    Truly sensitive data should not be stored on a laptop, and when it must
    use two-factor authentication such as a Smart Card (which does reduce
    the risk associated with cached logon credentials) or a SecureID token.
    If nothing else, some laptops these days come with passwords to
    lock/unlock the hard drive.

    Regards,

    John Howie CISSP MCSE
    President, Security Toolkit LLC