Re: New Web Vulnerability - Cross-Site Tracing

From: Marc Slemko (marcsat_private)
Date: Wed Jan 22 2003 - 12:11:25 PST

    On Wed, 22 Jan 2003, Pete Soderling wrote:

    > I thought this news might interest the group ...
    >
    > ExtremeTech (http://extremetech.com) just released an article on a new type of vulnerability recently reported to CERT, Cross-Site Tracing (XST).
    >
    > "After months of extensive research, San Jose California-based WhiteHat Security has unmasked a flaw in one of the Web's cornerstone protocols which places all e-commerce sites, as well as scores of Internet users, in jeopardy.
    >
    > This threat was discovered by application security research firm WhiteHat, and is detailed in David's story below. White Hat Security was started by a former CTO from Ungermann-Bass, and an Information Security officer at Yahoo!."
    >
    > Read the entire post at: http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,3973,841047,00.asp

    Wow, what a misinformed article.  The whitepaper available on
    WhiteHat's site is better (http://www.whitehatsec.com/news.html)
    but it still requires very careful reading to appreciate what parts
    of it are talking about things that are due to other known holes
    and which are actually news.

    Essentially what it boils down to is that Microsoft's "httponly" cookie
    hack is half-assed, and doesn't really work very well in reality, and
    that because MS has a horribly record of cross domain security
    holes that they refuse to patch in a timely manner then somehow
    this hole is a new all pervasive attack.

    Trying to pass all this off as some flaw in TRACE is... obscene.
    Combining existing holes that already have a huge exposure, then
    adding in a few little new pieces appears to be a strategy designed
    to hype the importance of the issue.

    The only new thing here is that this provides a way to get HTTP
    basic authentication credentials and, while this is indeed a notable
    discovery, it is unfortuante that is presented in the overhyped
    way it is.  It has been possible to obtain basic auth credentials
    in the past both from browsers that improperly allowed newline
    characters to be embedded in fields in the request (allowing the
    authorization to end up in the request body) and browsers that
    could be tricked into thinking they are sending a request to site
    x while really sending to site y, but AFAIK those holes are all
    fixed in any recent versions of common browsers.

    The reality is that there are many cases where the server returns
    information to the user that is confidential.  TRACE is one of
    those.  Embedding session IDs in returned links is one (very commonly
    done on app servers that support cookie based session tracking with
    a fallback to url based).  Returning a user's bank account number
    when they their account is another.  I don't see trying to disable
    every way that the server can send sensitive data to the browser as
    being a very effective path to try to take to solve such issues.

    The bottom line:  Why do you even need to steal the user's
    authentication token if you have full access to get their browser
    to submit requests and the ability to grab the contents of the
    results?  And having access to those two things is exactly what
    this whitepaper is assuming.  Yes, there is a small incremental
    exposure to being able to take the authentication token away with
    you and use it yourself but that is marginal compared to the exposure
    from the holes being assumed to be there before the new TRACE issue
    can be exploited.