IE chain vulnerability

From: Alex Loots (a.loots@itsec-ss.nl)
Date: Sun Jan 19 2003 - 23:50:24 PST

    Hello list,
    I have a question regarding the IE certificate chain vulnerability
    reported in MS02-050. The patch that fixes this vulnerability results in
    strange behavior of IE when a connection attempt is being made to a
    website which uses a malicious certificate.

    I have set up a demo that uses a malicious certificate (A) that is
    generated on 19-08-2002 by means of a website certificate (B) published
    by a default IE trusted third party (C). Certificate B is valid from
    17-08-2002 until 16-11-2002. When I connect to the malicious website
    with the current date set on my client system (20-01-2003 at the time of
    this writing) the patched IE gives a warning about the validity date of
    the certificate and does not give any warnings regarding the faulty
    certificate chain. In my opinion IE should tell exactly why the
    certificate is not correct including the faulty chain. Most end users
    don't even bother the warning about the date and continue browsing. This
    happens all the time with valid certificates to so they have seen it
    before.

    When I set the date of my client system to a date between 19-08-2002 and
    16-11-2002 it is not possible to connect to the malicious website. The
    default IE “DNS or …” error page is being displayed. The error displayed
    is not informative enough but IE at least keeps me from entering the
    malicious site.

    So even with a patched version of IE it is still possible to almost
    transparently exploit the chain vulnerability because of incorrect
    warnings.

    I have tested this on a W2KPro system with a patched IE 5.0.

    Has anybody also noticed this behavior?

    I have contacted Microsoft two weeks ago about this issue but they have
    not replied yet.

    - Alex