RE: [Full-Disclosure] Re: New Web Vulnerability - Cross-Site Tracing

From: Steven M. Christey (coleyat_private)
Date: Thu Jan 23 2003 - 16:46:45 PST

    "Richard M. Smith" <rmsat_private> asked:

    >Do you know of any cases of cross-site scripting being used in the
    >real world?

    I have observed unsuccessful cross-site scripting attacks on custom
    programs of a particular web server, but they are rarely performed.

    >I looked around last fall some and couldn't find any examples being
    >reported.

    I remember, though many enterprises are quite hush-hush about the
    details of security incidents.  Maybe CERT/CC has incident data that
    it could summarize?

    >XSS errors are real easy to make, so it is not surprising they are the
    >2nd most frequently reported vulnerability.

    Agreed.  Unlike bugs like buffer overflows, format strings, SQL
    injection, and directory traversal, nearly every single input is
    suspect, resulting in more attack vectors.  Think of how many inputs
    are echoed back to a web page, for example, versus how many inputs are
    used to construct filenames, or format log messages.  Also, "XSS
    cleansing" can be difficult if certain inputs need to be fairly
    free-form.  XSS issues can be easy to find, which is probably also a
    factor, though it also demonstrates the lack of adequate testing on
    the part of the developer.

    - Steve
    Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
    Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html