Re: MS SQL WORM IS DESTROYING INTERNET BLOCK PORT 1434!

From: Umit Tiric (umittat_private)
Date: Sat Jan 25 2003 - 03:17:29 PST

    We can confirm it here in Toronto, Canada. Even though the effect was
    minimal to us, we saw many major networks dissappear on the Internet.

    The effect is like a LAN denial of service attack. The requests are
    distributed over port 1434 UDP to multicast addresses. If the multicast
    on the router is enabled, this can multiply the effect to WAN.

    You have to patch your MS-SQL Server to the highest service pack.

    But, here is the funny thing, we had a MS-Project Server 2002 installed
    on a test machine with MSDE running. There is no service pack 3 for MSDE
    2000 yet, but there is a hotfix to solve the problem.

    That hotfix requires service pack 2. When we tried to install service
    pack 2 for MSDE, it gave an error. On the Microsoft web site, it says
    that SOME! of the MSDE installations require the service pack 2 to be
    installed only from an update CD but not from the Internet.

    I think it's going to be a while for all the networks to install these
    patches properly to stop these attack.

    Meanwhile I also recommend the sys admins to block the outgoing
    1434TCP/UDP as well. Incoming blocking might protect some of your servers
    but if you are already effected, at least try to contain this in your LAN
    by blocking the outgoing ports.

    I hope someone will reverse engineer this worm and tell us exactly what
    it did.

    Umit