RE: MS SQL WORM IS DESTROYING INTERNET BLOCK PORT 1434!

From: John Howie (JHowieat_private)
Date: Sat Jan 25 2003 - 15:16:48 PST

    Jason,

    I can't believe you wrote this - seriously, I can't.

    > As of now we don't know who wrote the worm, but we do know that it
    looks
    > like a concept worm with no malicious payload. There is a good
    argument to
    > be made in favor of such worms.

    What good can come of a widespread DoS of the Internet? What about the
    problems that come hacker getting a hold of the payload and making it
    more malicious before everyone can respond? Remember, most people won't
    know about this until Monday and won't be able to fix the problem until
    later that day, or perhaps later in the week.

    > Before you get upset at your vendor, or anyone else's, consider the
    bigger
    > picture and recognize the increased security hardening the Internet
    just
    > received.

    It shouldn't have needed it. Microsoft released a patch for the
    vulnerability some time ago (granted it wasn't easy to install,
    especially for MSDE installations) but the real problem is those system
    administrators who don't apply patches when there is no good reason not
    to, and the network and firewall administrators who, for some
    incomprehensible reason, leave open ports like this in their firewalls
    and routers.

    Maybe the time has come to draft legislation to prosecute not only the
    writers of such malware, but those who recklessly leave their systems
    vulnerable and defenseless and, through their negligence, help propagate
    malware. Lastly, Microsoft and all other vendors need to make their
    patches available for all configurations and easier to install (a quick
    check shows that SQL Server SP3 is still not available for MSDE).

    John Howie CISSP MCSE
    President, Security Toolkit LLC