The Spread of the Sapphire/Slammer SQL Worm

From: Nicholas Weaver (nweaverat_private)
Date: Fri Jan 31 2003 - 18:09:16 PST

    We have completed our preliminary analysis of the spread of the
    Sapphire/Slammer SQL worm.  This worm required roughly 10 minutes to
    spread worldwide making it by far the fastest worm to date.  In the
    early stages the worm was doubling in size every 8.5 seconds.  At its
    peak, achieved approximately 3 minutes after it was released, Sapphire
    scanned the net at over 55 million IP addresses per second.  It
    infected at least 75,000 victims and probably considerably more.

    This remarkable speed, nearly two orders of magnitude faster than Code
    Red, was the result of a bandwidth-limited scanner.  Since Sapphire
    didn't need to wait for responses, each copy could scan at the maximum
    rate that the processor and network bandwidth could support.

    There were also two noteworthy bugs in the pseudo-random number
    generator which complicated our analysis and limited our ability to
    estimate the total infection but did not slow the spread of the worm.

    The full analysis is available at
    http://www.caida.org/analysis/security/sapphire/
    http://www.silicondefense.com/sapphire/
    http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~nweaver/sapphire/

    David Moore, CAIDA & UCSD CSE
    Vern Paxson, ICIR & LBNL
    Stefan Savage, UCSD CSE
    Colleen Shannon, CAIDA
    Stuart Staniford, Silicon Defense
    Nicholas Weaver, Silicon Defense and UC Berkeley EECS