Re: DoS against DHCP infrastructure with isc dhcrelay

From: Thomas Lotterer (thlat_private)
Date: Mon Feb 03 2003 - 01:54:09 PST

    I examined this issue to eventually create a security patch but i failed
    when diving deeper into the material. Shortly said, i'm not lucky with
    the patch and here are my considerations.

    IMHO, when a relay forwards a BOOTREQUEST it must not use the MAC
    broadcast as a destination - unless the system administrator configured
    the IP local broadcast address as the destination he likes the requests
    to be forwarded to. Filling the packet with a MAC broadcast destination
    is exactly what the Linux packet filter code in ISC dhcpd/relay
    currently does. This is the ultimate reason for the broadcast storm to
    appear and this has to be fixed. The current patch just defeats the
    symptom and is not a solution for this specific problem.

    However, the patch really addresses another problem, a violation of
    RFC1542 currently present in the code by not checking the "hops" field.

        ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc1542.txt
        4.1.1 BOOTREQUEST Messages
        The relay agent MUST silently discard BOOTREQUEST messages whose
        'hops' field exceeds the value 16.  A configuration option SHOULD be
        provided to set this threshold to a smaller value if desired by the
        network manager.  The default setting for a configurable threshold
        SHOULD be 4.

    I hope ISC or a third party will provide a proper patch soon.  Operating
    System vendors alread started to give out security advisories based on
    this "symptom defender patch", i.e.
    http://www.debian.org/security/2003/dsa-245

    --
    Thomas.Lottererat_private
    Development Team, Cable & Wireless IS Operations Northern Europe