SummerCon 2003 Official Announcement

From: Mark F. Trumpbour (mtrumpat_private)
Date: Mon Feb 03 2003 - 12:45:48 PST

    SummerCon 2003
    June 6th, 7th, 8th 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA

    Come out and meet your favorite hackers, phreakers, phrackers, feds, 2600
    kids, cops, security professionals, U4EA, r00t kids club, press, groupies,
    chicks, conference whores, k0d3 kids, convicted felons, and concerned
    parents! It’s time again: SummerCon will be held June 6-8, 2003

    Pricing:
    Pre-registered: $30
    At the door: $40

    Scheduled Speakers:
    If you would like to speak, send an email to papersat_private with
    information about what you would like to speak on. We are in the process of
    compiling the speaker list, but we still need more speakers.

    Rules:
    Don't do anything your parents wouldn't approve of.
    Damage or destruction of hotel property will not be tolerated.
    No crashing wedding parties at the hotel.

    Hotel Information:
    The conference will be held at the University Club of Pittsburgh. They have
    been very good to work with, and have demonstrated a much more cooperative
    spirit than last year's hotel in Washington D.C. They even have 802.11b
    access available to the public! Other amenities include free parking,
    in-room coffee, continental breakfast, dining room, and a workout room with
    sauna.

    The University Club of Pittsburgh
    123 University Place
    Pittsburgh, PA 15213
    Phone: 412-621-1890
    Toll Free: 1-877-299-1890
    Facsimile: 412-621-8382

    I can assure you that the University Club is not used to having large
    numbers of computer security enthusiasts roaming their hotel. "The premises
    also feature a computer for internet use," does not mean that it must be
    systematically taken apart.

    The hotel is holding a limited number of rooms at a discounted rate; when
    you call them, let them know you are attending SummerCon to receive the
    discount. Act fast, rooms are limited!

    There are several other hotels located within walking distance of the
    University Club.

    Holiday Inn Oakland
    100 Lytton Avenue
    Pittsburgh, PA 15213
    412-682-6200

    Wyndham Garden Hotel University Place
    3454 Forbes Avenue
    Pittsburgh, PA 15213
    412-683-2040

    Hampton Inn University Center
    3315 Hamlet Street
    Pittsburgh, PA 15213
    412-681-1000

    Residence Inn
    3896 Bigelow Blvd.
    Pittsburgh, PA 15213
    412-621-2200

    Sunnyledge Hotel & Restaurant
    5124 5th Avenue
    Pittsburgh, PA 15232
    412-683-5014

    About this year’s conference:

    SummerCon 2003 will be held at the University Club of Pittsburgh, June 6-8.
    The University Club is just two walking minutes from the offices of CERT,
    and situated conveniently between the University of Pittsburgh and Carnegie
    Mellon. Pittsburgh offers free wireless access at many coffee shops, cheap
    beer, and fighting robots. While Pittsburgh isn’t as exotic as some of our
    previous venues, it offers many quality attractions at good prices. And
    cheap airfare, too.

    It has always been our contention that cons are for socializing. "Seekret
    Hacker InPh0" is never really discussed except in private circles, so the
    only way anyone is going to get any is to meet new people and take the
    initiative to start interesting conversations.

    Because of this, the formal speaking portion of SummerCon will be held on
    one day, June 7th, not two or three, leaving plenty of time for people to
    explore the city, compare hacking techniques, or go trashing and clubbing
    with their heretofore unseen online companions.

    If you want to commit crimes, if you are interested in pulling fire alarms
    or breaking things, don't come to this con. We aren’t here for that, and you
    shouldn’t be either. If you want to learn new things, meet new people, and
    drink a beer or twelve, this con is for you.

    For more information, online registration, and past conference information,
    go to www.summercon.org. Questions can be directed to infoat_private We
    look forward to seeing you in June.

    SummerCon is the oldest of the annual computer security conferences. Its
    origins are well tied to the early years of Phrack Magazine, a mainstay of
    the hacker community. More information about SummerCon 2003 is available at
    www.summercon.org. Members of the media wishing to find out more about
    SummerCon should send e-mail to media-relationsat_private