Re: Preventing exploitation with rebasing

From: Torbjörn Hovmark (torbjorn.hovmarkat_private)
Date: Tue Feb 04 2003 - 06:00:17 PST

    Hi David,

    > [...] Eventually I've rebased all of the DLLs used by SQL Server mutating
    > it's "genetic code", making it considerably different to any other SQL
    > Server install on the planet. In fact if I rebase every DLL on my system
    and
    > every executable then I can make my box almost invulnerable to a given
    > exploit, past, present or future.

    The idea is very elegant (in fact we have planned to include a variation of
    it in an upcoming product), but unfortunately it will not work very well
    with system DLLs. Many Windows system DLLs can't be safely rebased. Although
    they include relocation information, they make assumptions about where in
    memory they (or other system DLLs) will be loaded. Essentially, if you
    rebase some of the system DLLs, your system will become unstable or will
    fail to start. Also, many exes do not include relocation information at all
    (since exes are loaded first they are not supposed to be relocated in normal
    operation). You will not be able to rebase them either.

    Best regards,

    Torbjörn Hovmark
    Abtrusion Security AB
       - next generation intrusion protection