RE: Microsoft Security Bulletin MS03-005: Unchecked Buffer in Windows Redirector Could Allow Privilege Elevation (810577)

From: John Howie (JHowieat_private)
Date: Thu Feb 06 2003 - 08:01:58 PST

    Jason,

    > I've proposed to Microsoft that they stop publishing Mitigating
    Factors in
    > their security bulletins, and now it looks necessary to propose the
    same
    > in
    > a more open forum.

    I disagree. From a risk perspective you need to know mitigating factors.
    To kill the hype that accompanies a newly discovered vulnerability you
    need a cool, dispassionate, overview of the problem. Your sample
    'aggravating' factor was anything but, and would be more likely to add
    to the hype.

    I think your decision to ask Microsoft first is a sign of your
    prejudice, why not ask the Open Source communities to lead the way? I
    can see it now: "WARNING: By using Open Source code anyone can modify
    the source, replace your binaries, and completely root your system!"

    John Howie CISSP MCSE
    President, Security Toolkit LLC