Re: Preventing exploitation with rebasing

From: Carolyn Meinel (cmeinelat_private)
Date: Thu Feb 06 2003 - 15:29:47 PST

    On Wednesday 05 February 2003 16:07, Seth Breidbart wrote:
    > Even under the assumption that locations aren't re-used, it's
    > provably impossible (Turing-complete) to determine whether the
    > contents of a location can be used as an address by a program.

    Would that be more accurately not impossible, but "intractable"? With a
    small enough and simple enough program it is possible to analyze
    whether its implementation on a Turing Machine will reach a halting
    point. What the Turing Machine Halting Problem proves is that for an
    arbitrary tape, calculation of the upper bound on the number of moves
    the read-write head must make to determine whether there is a halting
    state is an "intractable" problem.

    What this rebasing discussion comes down to is: to what extent may one
    simplify operation of a program by limiting inputs by obfuscating ports
    (as defined in finite state machine theory, a subset of the Turing
    Machine) that could accept input of exploits?

    Better yet, how about eliminating buffer overflow-generated ports by
    using a programming language that doesn't automagically lend itself to
    buffer overflows? There are, after all, languages other than C and
    Fortran, and memory is no longer ferrite cores strung together with
    copper wires by Taiwanese ladies and leased, not sold, by IBM. So we
    don't really need the extreme and bug-prone measures of yesteryear to
    save on RAM use.

    Using more modern languages can also reduce the temptation to reuse
    crufty code:)

    Two excellent books relevant to this discussion are "Building Secure
    Software" by Viega and McGraw, and "Computers and Intractability" by
    Garey and Johnson.

    --
    "I see in the near future a crisis approaching that unnerves me and
    causes me to tremble for the safety of my country. As a result of the

    505-281-9675
    http://techbroker.com
    http://happyhacker.org

    Gravity. It's not just a good idea. It's the law.