RE: Microsoft Security Bulletin MS03-005: Unchecked Buffer in Windows Redirector Could Allow Privilege Elevation (810577)

From: Jason Coombs (jasoncat_private)
Date: Fri Feb 07 2003 - 09:32:45 PST

    I'd like to apologize to John Howie for the following:

    > And you should be aware that Windows is not just for the desktop anymore.

    This was insulting as worded, and it was not my intent to insult.

    I was throwing at John Howie my frustration with Microsoft over their past
    and present shortcomings in the server platform/Web hosting platform area.
    This was not fair and I apologize.

    I feel like Microsoft is still mostly unaware that their products are used
    in the real world, and in deployments where the definition of local vs.
    remote is based on process and thread boundaries rather than physical ones.
    They shipped a server OS based on their desktop software mentality (NT) then
    a follow-on (2000) that tried to be something it was not (secure) and these
    things caused great harm.

    Windows Server 2003 is supposed to fix these flaws, fundamentally. Microsoft
    should give this critical security upgrade away free to all licensed owners
    of Windows NT/2000 as an apology of their own.

    Sincerely,

    Jason Coombs
    jasoncat_private