Followup: breakpoint the stack buffer overflow from executing maliciouscode like SQL Slammer worm

From: Peter Huang (yinrongat_private)
Date: Tue Feb 11 2003 - 05:57:42 PST

    Andrew McGill emailed me with the following comments:

    > This is a nice technique - however it is quite probable that a
    > jmp esp instruction can be found which is preceeded by an
    > innocuous instruction ( add bx,si ; jmp esp ... ) ... "quite
    > probable" in the above means I haven't actually looked.

    That was a very good question. Actually, I thought about the above more
    after my original post and came up with the following. The basic concept is
    “there will be no void parameter function call or traditional WINAPI call”.
    For a void parameter function:

    1.      Call SomeVoidFunction()
    The compiler will generate this code such as:

    	Push      0
    	Call SomeVoidFunction
    	Add  esp, 4        ; can be pop ecx etc.

    In the called function SomeVoidFunction itself, it is coded as:

    	Add  [esp+4], 0cch
    	ret

    2.      Call SomeApiFunction(par1, par2 .. )
    The compiler will generate this code such as:

    	Push 0
    	Push ..
    	Push par2
    	Push par1
    	Call SomeApiFunction	; PASCAL-style
    	Add  esp, 4        ; can be pop ecx, etc

    In the called function SomeApiFunction itself, it is coded as:

    	Mov  [esp+4+X << 2], 0cch    ; where x is the parameter number
    	Ret  X << 2

    3.	For a normal C function with parameter, it is still coded as:
    	add	[esp+4], 0cch
    	ret

    This method will work to call old existing libraries because it just wastes
    a few cycles with “push 0” and “add esp, 4”.
    However, the 0CCh-inserted libraries or object files will not work with old
    call methods (without extra push 0 and pop).

    Best regards

    Peter Huang
    For the latest update on this thread, pls visit
    http://members.rogers.com/yinrong/articles/BreakpointBufferFlow.htm